Are you in the market for new office chairs, but cannot decide on what ones to buy? It's important to base your decision on how ergonomic the office chair is. A high quality ergonomic chair allows the user to sit for many hours during the day without it negatively impacting their physical health. With that thought in mind, here are the top ergonomic features that you must keep in mind when looking for chairs from office furniture companies:
- Seat Height: It's important to select a seat height that allows your knees to be at a 90 degree angle. That's because it will minimize the amount of pressure that is exerted on your knees as you are sitting. Therefore, it's advantageous to buy chairs with an adjustable height feature. This allows people of various heights to alter the height of the chair so that their knees can be at 90 degrees. Furthermore, when the correct seat height is achieved, the feet should be flat on the ground, arms at desk height and thighs horizontal.
- Backrest: Good quality back support is required to minimize the chances of back pain. An adjustable back rest that's not connected to the seat allows for the highest degree of flexibility. Therefore, a person of almost any body type can find a configuration that will provide adequate support for their back. To provide support for the average person, the backrest should be between 12 and 19 inches wide.
- Quality of the seat material: Seats with a plastic surface should be avoided, because they will induce the feeling of discomfort. Padded seats can provide comfort for office workers that need to sit at the desk for many hours of the day. However, padded surfaces will be harder to clean if they stain from a spill.
- Inward curve: The point of an inward curve is to provide lumbar support for the user. That in turn will reduce the chances of back pain. However, the lumbar support must match the contour of the back. Otherwise, there will be localized pressure points that cause discomfort and over time induce back pain.
- Wheels and rotation: An office chair that allows for 360 degree rotation and has wheels will reduce the number of times an office worker has to get up. The physical strain of standing up and sitting down will be reduced. It may also allow the office worker to complete their work with a higher level of efficiency.